Examine the impact of a psychological disorder on a person's mental health and well-being.
· Write a 3 page speech for Mental Health Awareness Week that uses a popular film to illustrate a psychological disorder.
Professionals in psychology are often called upon to provide education and awareness on a wide variety of topics, in order to encourage the public to recognize mental health issues and seek help. For this assessment, you will consider a mental health problem depicted in the media and develop a speech to raise awareness about the disorder.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 1: Apply foundational theories in psychology to current issues in the field of psychology.
· Describe a psychological disorder illustrated in a film.
· ompetency 2: Describe scientific research methods presented in scholarly psychology literature.
· Describe research-based biological and environmental causes for a disorder.
· Competency 3: Apply research findings from scholarly literature to current issues in the field of psychology.
· Summarize research-based biological and psychotherapeutic treatments for a selected psychological disorder.
· Competency 4: Examine how human thoughts and behaviors can impact mental health and well-being.
· Examine the impact of a psychological disorder on a person’s mental health and well-being.
· Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for professionals in the field of psychology.
· Write coherently to support a central idea with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics, as expected of a psychology professional.
· Use current APA format and style.
Step 1: Select a Psychological Disorder
Psychological disorders are organized in categories in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (American Psychiatric Association, 2013). Some of the categories are mood disorders, personality disorders, anxiety disorders, dissociative disorders, psychotic disorders, and eating disorders.
In popular culture, psychological disorders are presented often (with varying degrees of accuracy). The film, A Beautiful Mind was based on the true story of John Nash, who suffered from schizophrenia. As Good As It Gets depicted a man with obsessive-compulsive disorder, and Sybil was based on the true story of a young woman with dissociative identity disorder.
Choose a movie, TV show, or book about a character with a mental illness. If you are having a difficult time thinking of a movie or TV show, the following list may give you an idea:
· A Beautiful Mind.
· As Good As It Gets.